Monday 11 June 2012

Journal One



 K/W/L Chart
Know (previous knowledge you may have about the book)
Want to Know (Questions you have about the content, themes, action, findings)
Learned (please finish after have read most or all of the book) (Summarize the answers to your questions in column 2; what did you find out? What did you learn from the book overall?)
       My previous knowledge of this book is that it deals with issues of race during the 1960’s in Jackson, Mississippi.
       I know that it follows the story line of three different women
       Two of the women are black maids working in white family’s homes
       The third woman is a young white woman who approaches the maids in the hopes of writing a book from the perspective of the ‘help’

      I would like to find out what has led this white woman write a book from the perspective of the black maids that work in the white homes
      I would like to know what the white woman’s relationship to the black women is and what her connections to them is
      I’m also curious as to whether there are other themes to the novel besides the obvious one, being racism, and if the book explores any other themes thread throughout the book
      I would also like to see if the book goes into description of the effect the book has once published, or if it just looks at the process.  Im curious as to how the white women react to the publication
(Need to read the book first)

Predictions:
  • I obviously think that the book is going to deal with issues of racism
  • I think the characters are going to face some awful experiences with regards to racial hate that will push them to wanting to write the book
  • I think that the main topic will be the maids telling their stories of their lives to the white woman writing the book
  • I think that the after math of the publication of the novel may be explored in the novel and I think part of it is going to be negative, but there may also be some positive results, however I don’t think it is going to be a fairytale ending, I believe it is going to be extremely realistic

No comments:

Post a Comment